New experiences and adventures are what cycling is all about. I’ve ridden and raced in spaces and places far and wide and I'm always up for another challenge. So when I was contacted by Mike Pryde of Neil Pryde bikes and presented with an option to join his crew on their annual trip to the Tour of Friendship in Thailand, I looked at as an opportunity to do just that. 5 stages over 5 days in a beautiful country; yeah, game on. Mike is a good friend I met while cycling in Hong Kong and is generally the czar of all that is riding, racing and community in the HK. He’d rounded up a diverse and quite eclectic crew. Most were a mystery as I entered into this challenge, but cycling is a bond that brings all types of people together, despite the language, job, or social standing.
- Anthony Dickson –- me, random white guy from Seattle
- Mike Pryde –- The Boss, organizer and all around great guy
- Sebastian Pilotte –- DS for the Men’s Club/Neil Pryde team in Japan and professional model
- Mike J Rice –- Rep for Neil Pryde in Japan and all around good guy
- Michael Rice –- Neil Pryde man in Japan, no relation to the above, yet a true gentleman
- Yiuchung Kwok –- Silent assassin and ex-HK national team member
- Herman Tam –- Cottage of wattage and co-comedian with Simon
- Simon Yip -- Cottage of wattage and co-comedian with Herman
- Uncle Fireman -– Hong Kong Fireman and one of the kindest guys you’ll ever meet
- Orca Fung -– The most dedicated and awesome mechanic you’ll ever find
We were to meet up bright and early Friday morning at the sprawling Hong Kong International airport to board a plane bound f...